Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to School

Wow - What Stress!!!!

I have to get everyone up for school in the AM, make sure they have completed their daily routine (brush teeth, bath, clothes, etc.), and get them out the door on time. They must have their lunches ready, a plan for returning home, and a plan for after school activities.

Who needs to be Where and Who is taking them there????

Then I go to work, do a great job, and be supportive of my fellow workers. I come home and must feed the family, help them complete homework, pack up stuff for the next day and get them in bed on-time. And OOPS - do not forget to smile and be loving to my significant other if I have one.

Why does school have to start?

To make matters worse, my doctor wants me to feed my children a balanced diet (no fast food), read to my toddler, and eat dinner at the dinner table as a family. She even has the NERVE to want me to do a Date Night or Singular Night (Single parent out enjoying life) on a regular schedule.

Well, here are some suggestions that may help.

1. Plan and write down your menu for the week (breakfast and dinner).

2. Grocery shop and get it all. Cook all your meals on the weekend. Example: So no brain work needed, on Tuesday we have baked chicken, new potatoes, and green beans, already done when I get home.

3. Buy and use a slow cooker, get Tupperware travel plates when on the go, and a warming sleeve like the pizza guy has for his food.

4. Lay out clothes and pack back pack before bed or right after dinner. (One of my kids would take a bath at night, get dressed for school, and make his bed. He would lay on top of his bed to sleep and would be all ready to go in the morning....a little drastic but it worked for him.)

5. Make lunches and have them labeled and ready in the fridge.

6. Color code each kid on the calendar for each of their activities and specify who is the transporter to and from the activity.

7. Give the kids chores to help out. They can be small at first: set table, clear dishes, call out bath schedule, check younger kids homework, read to toddler, pack lunches (my sister packed us an onion sandwich one time and yes, I did eat it...I was hungry!), check weather the next day, check traffic in AM, set out packed lunches in the AM, etc.

8. Stay on schedule for bedtimes and wake ups even on the weekend (OK, not that far off).

9. Bedtime should be 1-2 hours before you go to bed.

10. Use that 1-2 hours of ME time for yourself, your special person, or just to relax and turn off your brain.

11. Plan a date night long in advance so there is no stress.

One of the best presents you could give your children if you are a happy couple is to stiol be a happy couple when they are 17 years old. Do not put your relationship on autopilot and think it will be there waiting for you 15 years later.

If you are a single parent, your a better parent when there is time put aside for you to explore who you are and do the things that make you happy. Remember to be a complete person not just defined as _____'s Mom. It is not selfish for a person to do adult things.

Have a good school year. I can't wait for summer again.

Doctor C

No comments:

Post a Comment